Chicken Fajita Bowls
January 22, 2014
I have talked about Mexican bowls before here, and got the idea from Liberty London Girl. We eat them a lot. It’s a great Friday night supper when you want tasty food and a night on the sofa. We both prep everything then pile our bowls up and watch a movie.
At the moment we are making efforts to be healthy so we switched up our bowl ingredients this week and I think we found a new favourite meal. It’s a bit more work and I have to admit that I didn’t cook this my husband did…
You need (for 2);
2 chicken breasts, cut into small strips
(fajita seasoning made to this recipe)
150g brown rice
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red/green pepper, chopped in strips
1 tin red kidney beans
1 large avocado
salt and pepper
2/3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
served with salad;
leaves, cucumber, pepper and sweetcorn
1. Make your fajita seasoning, make a big quantity so that this is done for next time. This way you don’t have to buy the packet stuff unless you’re feeling lazy. Then smoother your chicken and cover in cling film until you’re ready to cook.
2. Made your guacamole; we like to mash ours in a bowl with a fork so it’s fairly chunky, then we add lime juice, salt and pepper and chilli flakes.
3. Make your kidney beans, heat the olive oil in a saucepan, then add 1/4 of the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes then add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add the beans and 100ml of stock and cook for 10 minutes until the beans are soft then mash the beans – add more stock if necessary.
4. Cook your rice, we boiled brown rice for 15 minutes. I like it to have bite.
5. Fry off the rest of your onion and peppers in some oil until they begin to caramelise, put to one side.
6. Finely cook your chicken, we just brought a George Foreman grill which I was so against as I hate having lots of appliances in the kitchen but I have to say I love it especially for cooking chicken. Otherwise to keep this healthy grill your chicken for 5-7 minutes.
Then chuck it all in a bowl.